Collection interfaces

topmind topmind at technologist.com
Thu Mar 22 01:57:10 EST 2001

"Troy Brumley" <t*b*r*u*m*l*e*y at f*u*s*e.n*e*t> wrote in message
news:B6DE17D2.D6B0%t*b*r*u*m*l*e*y at f*u*s*e.n*e*t...
> in article 3AB8A730.4BE13D22 at mail.com, James A. Robertson at
> jarober at mail.com wrote on 3/21/01 8:06 AM:

> >> I only see a front page, not a parsing example.
> >>

> > Follow the tutorial link - it's right there on that page.
> >

> >> Besides, what are you comparing it to so say
> >> it is better than a procedural/relational approach?
> >
> > It's vastly easier than similar code done in C or basic, for example
>
> User testimonial here ... last week I had to rip thorugh a pile of IIS
logs
> to get some statistics for some people, and I used the original (non-gui)
> tutorial code as a starting point. I was once again impressed with how
much
> easier it was to do several common data processing tasks in Smalltalk than
> it was in Assembly language or C or Pascal.

Give me specific requirements and I bet I can match it on code size.

C, Pascal, and Assembly are hardly what I would use for code-size
contests.

Of course, there is more to comparing than code size, but those often
get very subjective or fuzzy.

> I'm a long time procedural type, learning to really think in and use
> Smalltalk has been an interesting experience.
>
> I've also done a lot of database "fixing" and Smalltalk has usually beat
out
> raw SQL for anything but the most trivial tasks.

Fixing what? SQL is not good at string parsing.

> All that said, I think it's the environment (interactive) that improves
the
> experience as much as the language itself. If I had a reasonable
> interpretive BASIC environment available, I could probably do many of the
> things I did in Smalltalk almost as easily ... certainly more easily than
> with C.

I find interpretive environments potentially more compact code-wise than
static ones.