Who's minister of propaganda this week?

Cameron Laird claird at starbase.neosoft.com
Wed Mar 14 13:40:02 EST 2001

In article <mailman.984591979.3013.python-list at python.org>,
Steven D. Majewski <sdm7g at virginia.edu> wrote:
			.
>An object is a piece of data with procedures attached to it.
>A closure is a procedure with a piece of data attached to it.
>
>Obviously, they are complete opposites!
>
>Well -- maybe "mirror images" is a better term.
Mathematicians talk of "duals".  In signal processing,
for example, one considers a voice recording--or its
"frequency graph" (periodogram--I'm simplifying, of
course).  An important instinct for all developers is
to think, when they see code (data), how to regard it
as data (code).

>If you read the HOPL articles on Lisp and Smalltalk, it's
>clear that both groups were in communication with each other
>and were aware of this -- they called it "orthigonality" --
>both a different syntax, and a different way of looking at the
>same thing.
Worth repeating.

--

Cameron Laird <claird at NeoSoft.com>