Can Python replace Visual Basic? Should it?

Werner Schiendl ws-news at gmx.at
Tue Mar 6 12:06:20 EST 2001

I never tried to develop a GUI with Python, so i cannot comment on how easy
or difficult that would be.

But I think Visual Basic is really great for such simple toy programs that
do not do much but are necessary to get the customer satisfied. And they (of
course) fit perfectly the native look and feel of windows and support all
kind of fancy things like OLE Drag & Drop. That does not mean that i think
this is necessary to make the tool good, but there are people asking for
such stuff and than its getting hard if your environment forces you to do
that by hand.

In general I agree that one should know how tha mechanics of the program
works. But I think it is not necessary to know how Visual Basic registers
Active X Controls in detail. It works and I know how to invoke it, what's
the problem? I do not know in detail how the .EXE file is made up or how my
harddisk handles CRCs. And still the programs work fine...

For a small, one or two window GUI with a fixed layout Visual Basic will
stay my favorite tool for the next time I guess.
But, of course, everyone may use the tools he likes best.

regards
werner

Brad Bollenbach <bbollenbach at homenospam.com> wrote in message
news:3q8p6.12338$hn5.1798569 at news1.rdc1.mb.home.com...

> "Alex Martelli" <aleaxit at yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:98266k0p5h at news1.newsguy.com...
> > "Brad Bollenbach" <bbollenbach at homenospam.com> wrote in message
> > news:5DZo6.11126$hn5.1578410 at news1.rdc1.mb.home.com...
> > > Again, I'm much more interested in the real world experience of those
> who
> > > used to use the big visual development tools in Windows like VB,
Delphi
> or
> > > Powerbuilder rather than theoretical answers.
> >
> > Why do you focus on 'used to use'?  One may perfectly well keep using
> > some VB (&c) for tasks it's particularly well-suited to, while using
> > Python wherever feasible (and, indeed, using both in the same project
>
> Certainly. And for all intents and purposes "used to use" isn't necessary,
> but the question happened to be directed (as its subject suggests) at
those
> who _have_ replaced VB with Python. :)
>
> But realistically, I just wanted to emphasize my interest in hearing
answers
> from those who have or currently are using VB or one of the other Win32
> visual development tools. Personally, I'm a former VB programmer now
working
> in Powerbuilder and am unhappy with both, again based on my dislike of
IDE's