Python and emacs

Oliver Korpilla korpo at 01019freenet.de
Thu Mar 22 17:35:12 EST 2001

Don Dwiggins wrote:

> A semi-idle question: has anyone looked into embedding Python as an
> extension language in Emacs, alongside Elisp?  I'm toying with the idea of
> doing some Emacs enhancements/modifications, and given the choice, I'd much
> rather do them in Python.  (One such enhancement would be to add
> Pythonwin-style "intellisense" popups to python-mode.)

Well, good luck. Emacs is written in LISP, so doing anything with Emacs
requires you to know LISP thoroughly. LISP is functional, so you want to
interface between Emacs functional buildup to Python. Sounds tough too
me.. and if you do learn LISP well enough to install a Python
interpreter within Emacs, why then not use LISP AND when you've done
writing that LISP interface to Python, will you wrap all LISP functions
to work within Python, or will you write a new Python-comprehensing
editor replacing LISP emacs ?
Sounds funny.

Ciao, Korpo