Cookies

Ken Seehof kens at sightreader.com
Thu Mar 15 19:01:59 EST 2001

Short version:

Is it possible for a stand-alone python application to read a cookie without the help of a browser?"

Long version:

I have a web page W and a client side python script P.  I want W to generate a GUID (perhaps using javascript) which is then sent to a server S, where it is to be used as a key in a database.  Now I run P (on the client, and not in a browser) and I want P to somehow find the value of the GUID, so that it can query the database on S.

Alternate question:

Is there a technique common to both javascript and python that will obtain a unique identifier for a computer (e.g. IP address).  It must not be browser specific.

Motivation:

I need to write a record of data from an html form, keyed by some kind of unique client id, to the server and then be able to query that record from a stand alone python script running on the client.  The missing link is getting the html form and the python script to agree on a value for the id; the rest is easy.

- Ken