How to find out about free space on a given drive?

Dinu Gherman gherman at darwin.in-berlin.de
Tue Mar 20 07:15:55 EST 2001

Cameron Laird wrote:

> When it matters enough to me, maybe I'll write up (partial)
> os.statvfs() implementations for Win*, or even MacOS, perhaps
> starting from <URL: http://mini.net/cgi-bin/wikit/526.html >
> (see "Disk free capacity") and submit the sources for inclu-
> sion in the distribution library.  It surprises me a teensy
> bit when I read, "I don't think you'll find a cross-platform
> solution", without the "yet" which belongs at the end.

I kicked-off a little debate on this y'day on python-dev,
where, in the end, it didn't seem so impossible anymore:

  http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2001-March/013706.html

I also found a good reference for Mac folks that might be
helpful in implementing such a function in the os module:

  http://developer.apple.com/techpubs/mac/Files/Files-96.html

Marc-Andre posted a sample Python implementation with some
white spots to fill in that can also be found in the thread
on python-dev.

Cameron or Jack (if he is listening): I'd be really happpy
to see that before Python 3000... but can't offer much more
then a few pints on the next conference. ;-)

Best regards,

Dinu

--
Dinu C. Gherman