Newbie question about nested lists and constructor functions...

Norm Lyons norm at cybersurf.net
Sun Mar 4 23:18:29 EST 2001

Sorry about that Chris.

I am trying to create instantiated objects with the following properties:

list_var = [(key, value), left, right]

where the "key, value" pair are a tuple, and the variables "left" and
"right" are empty lists [ ] which will be manipulated to hold values later
in the program after they have already been initialized to empty lists.  The
purpose of this object is to hold the necessary data for nodes in a binary
search tree.  I know how to implement this type of data structure in C++ but
I seem to be getting hung up on the syntax differences in the Python class
and member variable declarations.

An example of one of my attempts would be:

class Node:
     def __init__(self, key = ''):
          left = []
          right = []
          data = (key, 'value')
          newnode = [data, left, right]
     def info(self):
          return self.data

The "info" function is only intended to return the values of the variables
"key and value".  The other values are used as pointers to child nodes in
the tree.  As I mentioned earlier, I have been through the online tutorial a
few times and have not found any information that clears this issue up for
me.  Obviously, the code above is incomplete as it should also contain the
appropriate "if" and "elif" statements to properly branch according to the
information passed to the constructor function.  Unfortunately, I do not
know what I am doing wrong.  Any suggestions?

Norm.

P.S. Sorry about the contact information on the last message.  Someone was
fooling around with my newsgroup account settings and I didn't notice it
until the last message was already posted.