Python GUI with Swing

Steve Purcell stephen_purcell at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 30 03:03:19 EST 2001

??? wrote:
> [snip] Swing maybe slow but my customer can accept.
> If I use Swing thru Jython, it will be slower then directly using Java to
> develop the system. So I need a solution to use Swing in Python, that's all.

So you want to use C Python because it's faster than Jython, but you want
the Swing GUI? I think you're making things difficult for yourself.

If Swing is fast enough for your customers, no Java code could be too
slow for them.  :-)

Therefore, why not write the application in Jython, and re-write
speed-critical parts in Java? For most parts of your application, Jython won't
be any slower than Java.

(Personally, I would just write everything in Jython and add 100MHz to the
minimum recommended system requirements to make up for the difference between
Jython and straight Java.)

-Steve

--
Steve Purcell, Pythangelist