Which Python version is better on Win32

Steve Holden sholden at holdenweb.com
Wed Mar 28 22:40:27 EST 2001

"TM" <tm at kernelconsult.com> wrote in message
news:20010329.3014838 at mis.configured.host...

> I've seen recently that yhere were several releases of Python for the MS
> Windows platform:
> ActivePython is one of them there's also PythonWin which is not branded,
> beOpenPython and maybe others.
>
> Which one would you advise me to use and why?

BeOpen Python is the standard 2.0 release, as built by the development team
while they were working at BeOpen (which looks, by the way, as though it
might now BeClosed).

PythonWin is actually just one component of ActiveState's ActivePython
distribution. Unless anyone can tell you any better, it bundles BeOpen
Python with a huge set of add-on goodies devised and produced mostly by Mark
Hammond.

IMHO you would be best advised to go for ActivePython unless you
specifically want a small installation with just the Python language core on
it.

regards
 Steve