PEP 42 and Py2.1

Tim Peters tim.one at home.com
Mon Mar 19 00:05:01 EST 2001

[Raymond Hettinger]
> I've checked out the Py2.1 beta and my most desired small feature didn't
> make it.  To quote PEP 42:
>
>     Generalize eval() to accept any mapping objects for locals and
>     globals.
>
> Is it too late to get this one in?

Yes; it was too late the day after 2.1b1 was released (the first beta has the
last new feature).

> Is it difficult to implement?

Afraid that's the wrong question:  resistance has been grounded in "go fast"
reasons.  Using dicts directly avoids the runtime expense of indirecting thru
an abstract mapping-object layer.

> Is there anyway I can help get it done?

Well, implementing it would be a help!  Then you can quantify the slowdown
(if any -- who knows?).

personally-doubt-it-would-make-make-enough-difference-to-care-ly
    y'rs  - tim