The most important modules

robin at illusionsexeculink.com robin at illusionsexeculink.com
Tue Mar 20 11:27:08 EST 2001

Martyn Quick <mrq at for.mat.bham.ac.uk> wrote:

>I've seen a few comments along the lines of "When you are a newbie it will
>take a while to realize which the important modules are."

These are them for me:
__builtin__
string
re
os
sys

Followed by:
time
glob
traceback
getopt
types

>I notice that as I become aware of
>more of Python's capabilities, I find that previous bits of code can be
>greatly simplified.  Presumably this is a common experience?

I believe so. It depends on how much you are used to the naughty ways
of other languages. <grin>

As an example, try/except/else can simplify an awful lot of manual
bounds checking, and make your code more robust to boot.

> Lutz & Ascher's "Learning Python"

This is *the* book to get when starting out.

>(becoming less of a newbie day-by-day)

As are we all.

-----
robin                          robin at illusionsexeculink.com
media artist /                 remove illusions to reply
information architect          www.execulink.com/~robin/

Isolation tank paves way to execute an attack.