Know of Substantial Apps Written in Python?

Louis Luangkesorn lluang at northwestern.edu
Sat Mar 31 20:14:22 EST 2001

Why don't you look at the Python Conference Proceedings pages off of the
www.python.org?

I'm not sure why the prejudice against using a language to drive C (or
C++ or Fortran) modules.  Paul Dubois at LLNL and others note that using
Python to drive C modules changes the way that these modules are used,
since you can code the functionality in C then use it to do real work
via Python.  It seems similar to the way the financial community will
often code algorithms C, then run them as DLL's from a spreadsheet such
as Excel or 1-2-3.  If using Python instead of directly working in C or
Fortran changes the way a module is used, wouldn't this give you insight
into the character of the language?

A few applications that have not been mentioned yet in this thread are
Reportlab, climate analysis, scientific simulations, driving astronomy
software, bioinfomatics, all of these are found in various proceedings
of the Python and Open Source conferences.  Reportlab is downloadable,
some of the others probably need something more than just your average
PC though :-)

[you can tell what I use Python for by my choice of examples :-) ]

Louis

--
K Louis Luangkesorn
lluang at northwestern.edu  http://pubweb.nwu.edu/~kll560  PGP:0xF3E2D362