Building "non-standard" standard extensions

Paul Moore gustav at morpheus.demon.co.uk
Mon Mar 26 15:22:16 EST 2001

I'll explain...

The Windows distribution of Python does *not* come with the readline module
included, not surprisingly as readline is GPL, and not commonly available for
Windows.

However, I do have a binary version of the readline library available. Can I
build the readline module for Windows usingh this? Ideally, I'd like to do
this *without* having to rebuild the whole of Python for Windows (I'm happy
with just using the normal build for everything else). I've never built Python
for myself, so apologies if the answer to this is "obvious"...

(BTW, this doesn't just apply to readline - I have various other libraries
such as a curses port, which I wouldn't mind trying to integrate as well...)

Thanks,
Paul