Python style questions

Michael Hudson mwh21 at cam.ac.uk
Mon Mar 19 16:03:20 EST 2001

Joshua Marshall <jmarshal at mathworks.com> writes:

> Michael Hudson <mwh21 at cam.ac.uk> wrote:
> > cobrien at Radix.Net (Cary O'Brien) writes:
> > The scoping can get a bit counter-intuitive
> >> 3. I really miss not having a "switch" or "case" statement.  Sniff.
>
> > --
> > 3. Syntactic sugar causes cancer of the semicolon.
> >   -- Alan Perlis, http://www.cs.yale.edu/homes/perlis-alan/quotes.html
>
> A switch statement may just be syntactic sugar, but not necessarily in
> a simple way.  A good compiler will compile switch statements into
> jump-tables or, at worst, binary searches.  Cluttery to code by hand.
>
> Sure this is "just" an efficiency thing, but switches can get quite big.

Gah, don't news-servers respect cancels?  That post was only half
finished when I gave up on it, and then hit C-c C-c rather than C-c
C-d.

Obviously this isn't going to work for people on the mailing list...

Cheers,
M.

--
  Java is a WORA language! (Write Once, Run Away)
                	-- James Vandenberg (on progstone at egroups.com)