This math scares me

John W. Baxter jwbnews at scandaroon.com
Wed Mar 14 10:05:34 EST 2001

In article <98mu97$fd1$1 at panix3.panix.com>,
 aahz at panix.com (Aahz Maruch) wrote:

> In article <yTwr6.1235$Tg.167429 at ruti.visi.com>,
> Grant Edwards <grante at visi.com> wrote:
> >
> >Of course we'd never imagined we'd ever see hardware FP and BCD
> >libraries were only marginally slower than binary ones. Now
> >that FP is usually in hardware, BCD FP (or fixed point) will be
> >pretty slow by comparison.
>
> If anyone cares, it ought to be fairly easy to create an unbounded BCD
> module using Python's longs.

Indeed, although it might (or might not) be more useful to produce a
Rational module as in SmallTalk, using Python longs for the two parts of
the fraction.  Either or both would have a place.  But I have neither
time nor need.  [And the SmallTalk idiom makes dealing with Rational
easier than it would be in Python, I think.]

  --John

John W. Baxter   Port Ludlow, WA USA  jwbnews at scandaroon.com