Little red lines in PythonWin!

Neil Hodgson neilh at scintilla.org
Tue Mar 20 17:26:13 EST 2001

Bill Bell:
> When I view the whois client using PythonWin I see that lots of the
> Python indenting is lost and that numerous red lines have been
> introduced which are (presumably) meant to inform me that
> something is wrong.

   Even though Bill has found his problem, I'd like to point out the meaning
of the little red lines. They are there to show that there is potentially
ambiguous indentation in the file and that the indentation should be fixed,
preferrably to all tabs or all spaces.

   This feature is turned on by default in PythonWin and can be controlled
through View | Options... | Tabs and Whitespace | Tab-Timmy. IMO all Python
IDEs should have a similar feature. For those IDEs that use Scintilla, the
feature is already implemented for you so it is almost free to add.

   Neil