Python 2.0 and Tcl/Tk 8.3.2?

Martin von Loewis loewis at informatik.hu-berlin.de
Sun Mar 11 15:55:33 EST 2001

"Thomas A. Bryan" <tbryan at python.net> writes:

> If Python works as well with Tcl/Tk 8.3 as it does with Tcl/Tk 8.0,
> I wonder why the default Python-2.0 still defaults to the older
> version.  Does this line get updated to the latest version of Tcl/Tk
> that was known to work at the time of release, or is it frozen at
> 8.0 for the time being?
>
> From Modules/Setup.in:
> # *** Uncomment and edit to reflect your Tcl/Tk versions:
> #       -ltk8.0 -ltcl8.0 \

Well, there is a comment in the beginning of the line - if you remove
the comment, you have to adjust the line; this is what you do with all
other lines as well, don't you?

The Linux RPM of Python 2.0 required Tcl 8.0 since that is what was
available on Redhat 6; most likely, this is also the reason that the
Setup refers to 8.0 'by default' (if you look carefully, you'll see
that 'by default', tkinter is not built at all).

In any case, Python 2.1 will use distutils for building _tkinter; it
will search for Tcl 8.4, 8.3, 8.2, 8.1, 8.0 in that order.

Regards,
Martn