I come to praise .join, not to bury it...

Darren New dnew at san.rr.com
Thu Mar 15 13:15:41 EST 2001

Alex Martelli wrote:
> And then again, the _appearance_ that too much emphasis
> was being placed on syntax-sugary issues kept me *AWAY*
> from Python for longer than it should have

Actually, what I found quite cool about Python is that the procedural syntax
maps to OO semantics. I.e., in Smalltalk, everything looks like a method
call, including "if". In Eiffel, everything that isn't a method call doesn't
look like a method call, and vica versa. But in Python, the convenient and
familiar "x = y[5:10]" maps to a real live method call you can override.

Well, *I* thought it was neat. It lets you be OO where you want, and keeps
it out of your face otherwise.

--
Darren New / Senior MTS & Free Radical / Invisible Worlds Inc.
San Diego, CA, USA (PST).  Cryptokeys on demand.