A counter-proposal to __future__ in PEP 236

Sverker Nilsson sverker.is at home.se
Thu Mar 1 13:55:32 EST 2001

I think the directive directive is better too. When I read about
the future import I was worried over what the new semantics
of import would be, for example what would happen to the
identifier that would be imported: would it be visible,
probably not but that's a new semantics to understand & learn.

Seems to me it is better starting afresh with a new directive
directive. So I'd give my vote of agreement with you.

Also it's reasurring as Joshua Marshall noted that directive
wouldn't need to break code even if it was used in an assignment,
because directive <directive> would have a unique meaning anyway.

Sverker