Some Basic Questions about Python

Bill Walker bwalker at earth1.net
Mon Mar 26 15:14:05 EST 2001

I am fairly new to OOP, but I have done quite a bit of programming in
Dos Basic a few years back. I've tried Java -- forget that. Perl too.

I bought the book "Core Python Programming" by Wesley Chun. It had
Python 1.5 on the CD-ROM that came with the book as well as TK graphics.

I have successfully written a Python program to display the graph of a sine
wave in a Tk window. I like the syntax.

Now for the questions:

1) If I write an application and want to pass it on to others who may not
have Python installed, how do I do this? I understand there is no compiler
for
Python and Tk yet that generates .exe files.

2) Can I distribute the Python install file along with my app without
violating a copyright or license?

3) Better yet, can I include only the base files needed to run my
application with the source code? Say Pythonw.exe and only the appropriate
DLLs, libs, etc.

I tried to do #3 above and ran into trouble. It is hard to determine just
what
dlls, libs and the like are actually needed, even for a simple program that
uses
only the Tk and math modules.

4) Is there docs somewhere that tells one what files are needed for what
modules?