PEP 255: Simple Generators

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Thu Jun 21 18:19:40 EDT 2001

"Tim Peters" <tim at digicool.com> writes:

> [Terry Reedy]
> > When I first read the PEP, I assumed that def'ed generators would
> > somehowreturn the successive yielded values on successive calls (wrong).
>
> Alas, I believe that.  For good or ill, PEPs aren't tutorials, they're aimed
> much more at developers of Python (as distinguished from developers using
> Python).  A good user's intro to Python generators doesn't exist yet
> (AFAIK).

And writing one's going to be tricky, 'cause a generator is only a big
win when there's lots of state that has to be maintained across yields
and such an example is necessarily hairy.  Same deal for weak refs -
a simple example is necessarily contrived.

oh-well-ly y'rs
M.

--
  SCSI is not magic. There are fundamental technical reasons why it
  is necessary to sacrifice a young goat to your SCSI chain now and