PEP 260: simplify xrange()

Grant Griffin not.this at seebelow.org
Thu Jun 28 09:25:59 EDT 2001

Michael Hudson wrote:

> "Andrew Dalke" <dalke at acm.org> writes:
>
> > Grant Griffin:
> > >BTW, among its many other technological advances, Goggle frees you from
> > >having to put "+" in front of stuff.
> >
> > Huh.  Showing my heritage of using altavista for a couple years.
> > If I had read the top of the results page I would have seen
> >
> > ] Google always searches for pages containing all the words in your
> > ] query, so you do not need to use + in front of words
>
> Google confuses me; if you search for "michael hudson" my page is the
> third hit - but my name doesn't actually appear anywhere on the linked
> page!
>
> The "did you mean to search for ..." feature is also downright
> uncanny.
>
> They've clearly sold their souls to the devil - there's no other
> explanation.

Yes!  Finally, that explains how they're able to finance the thing
without selling banner ads <wink>.

Actually, there's a very interesting page somewhere on the net that
explains how Google works (at least the way it worked at the time the
college students who invented it had to write a paper about it.)

Among many other clever tricks, they use the text of links _into_ your
page as a high-valued description of your page.  (The concept here is
that these link provide a better, more concise description of a page
than the page itself provides--which seems to be true in your case
<wink>.)

According to this theory, there's a link out there into your page that
has "Michael Hudson" in it somewhere.

(people-who-search-on-their-own-names-deserve-whatever-they-get)
   -<wink>-ly y'rs,

=g2

Grant R. Griffin                                       g2 at dspguru.com
Iowegian International Corporation            http://www.iowegian.com