Integrating a Python GUI into a PowerBuilder App

John Urberg jurberg at my-deja.com
Fri Jun 15 08:07:24 EDT 2001

"Alex Martelli" wrote:
> If a "Java GUI" can be "a child window of the MDI", I'm astonished
> (I would have thought it impossible!) -- but if you can do it in
> Java you can do it in Python (Jython, to be precise, since it can
> use ANY GUI class that Java can use).
>
> If a "VB GUI" can be "a child window of the MDI", I'm astonished
> (I would have thought it impossible!) -- but if you can do it in
> VB you can do it in Python (Python on Win32 has excellent COM
> support, and so it can control any "VB GUI", since VB exposes
> things in COM terms).
>
> So, no need to settle for either Java or VB.  Once you've found
> how to use their GUI's "as child windows of the MDI", let us
> know, and, albeit bereft of any PowerBuilder knowledge whatever,
> it will be reasonably easy for us to show how to use Python.

Sorry if I was unclear in my previous post.  I can use a Java or VB
GUI by making ActiveX controls from GUI panels done in those languages
and placing them on a blank PowerBuilder MDI child window.  Since I
can't do that in Python, I have to find some other way (making a
Python window a child of my PB apps MDI frame was one last desperate
shot).  Seems I'm out of luck.

Regards,
John Urberg