[Python-Dev] PEP 259: Omit printing newline after newline

David C. Ullrich ullrich at math.okstate.edu
Wed Jun 13 09:33:51 EDT 2001

On Tue, 12 Jun 2001 19:25:25 GMT, bokr at accessone.com (Bengt Richter)
wrote:

>[...] In general, I'd prefer that a language
>provide a clean way to create a solution to a problem,
>rather than having a particular solution built in.
>I like orthogonality too.

Not to change the subject just because every single
participant in the "debate" seems to be on the same
side (well, except for this Guido guy, whoever he is),
but to settle a bet, as it were:

Some time ago I said something to someone about
the "orthogonality" in Python's design. The guy
I was speaking to had never heard the word
applied in this context - I tried to explain
what it seemed to me the word meant here, he
explained back that he was a professional
programmer and had never heard of the word,
_almost_ stating that it followed that there
was no such use of the word, and there we were.

So just out of curiosity: Roughly what do you
mean by "orthogonality" above?

(Don't find it in

http://info.astrian.net/jargon/

, although I did just now notice that "Guido" is defined
there...)

David C. Ullrich