Dynamically-linked version of Python-2.1 for linux

Martin von Loewis loewis at informatik.hu-berlin.de
Sat Jun 16 13:41:57 EDT 2001

"R. Timothy Edwards" <tim at stravinsky.jhuapl.edu> writes:

>  Would someone please check my code and make sure
> that it doesn't break the compile process on other OS's (including
> Linux versions other than RedHat)?

People's opinion on that feature vary widely; I personally believe the
Python interpreter should *not* be linked with a shared library, and
that it is easier to distribute an embedded application if it has less
shared libraries.

So to make your suggested patch work, I think it *must* be activated
by a configure option. Please have a look at

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=400938&group_id=5470&atid=305470

for past discussion on this matter.

If you think you can come up with a patch that answers all
requirements, please submit a patch to SF; there is no point in people
starting with this all over again every few months.

It might be that you have to open a new patch for that; if so, please
leave a comment in the existing patch pointing to the new one.

Once it is on SF, rest assured that people will analyse and criticise
your patch, and verify that it works on many systems before
integrating it into Python.

Regards,
Martin