Writing new codecs

Courageous jkraska1 at san.rr.com
Sat Jun 16 15:04:35 EDT 2001

>It's really your choice. For rarely-used encodings, writing them in
>Python might make them more maintainable. But then, dealing with
>individual bytes in C is often easier than in Python.

I found it pretty easy after I learned the array and struct modules.

Mind you, manipulating detailed bytes is pretty slow in Python. In
my case, it didn't matter, however, as the end result was an easy
application to write which ran "fast enough". There are many, many
situations in which this is a perfectly fine outcome.

C//