ROGER SESSIONS DISQUALIFIES JYTHON AS "FREEWARE"

Don O'Donnell donod at home.com
Fri Jun 8 03:50:45 EDT 2001

In the current issue of his monthly newsletter "ObjectWatch":

http://www.objectwatch.com/issue_33.htm

Roger Sessions, author of "COM+ and the Battle for the Middle Tier", and
ever a strong proponent of the Microsoft mantra from COM to DCOM to COM+
to .NET, in his main article "IS JAVA LANGUAGE NEUTRAL", searches for
languages, other than Java, which run on the Java platform.  I read it
avidly, expecting to find kind words about Jython.  Alas, he classifies
JPython/Jython as "Freeware" and lumps it together with "School/Hobby
projects" and says:

"Both of these categories include technologies
that show the feasibility of generating JBC from sources other than Java
(a
capability that is not in dispute), but do not include actual supported
implementations that would be used in a large commercial project."
(JBC == Java bytecode)

I just thought that some of you Jython programmers out there (I only use
the C version myself) might want to take issue with him.

-Don