call-by-reference (was Re: Any other Python flaws?)

Tim Peters tim.one at home.com
Fri Jun 15 20:34:01 EDT 2001

[Donn Cave]
> Python has "call by the one right way".

I usually say Python does "call by object".  Then people go "hmm, what's
that?".  If you say "call by XXX" instead, then the inevitable outcome is a
tedious demonstration that it's not what *they* mean by XXX.  Instead I get
to hear impassioned arguments that "by object" is what any normal person
means by YYY <wink>.

BTW, I believe Barbara Liskov first coined "call by object" to describe
argument-passing in CLU.

which-was-also-the-one-right-way-ly y'rs  - tim