Why no 'elif' in try/except?

Greg Ewing greg at cosc.canterbury.ac.nz
Thu Jun 7 22:15:09 EDT 2001

Marcin 'Qrczak' Kowalczyk wrote:

> 'else if' would mean exactly what 'elif' means today - it's still
> a special rule, but not an additional keyword.

Yes, it's unambiguous, although I'm not sure what
the implications would be for the parser the way
it currently works. Maybe I'll try to implement it
one day and find out!

If there isn't any difficulty, my guess is that
Guido simply didn't think of it at the time (or
when he did think of it, the time machine was
away for repairs).

Christchurch, New Zealand
http://www.cosc.canterbury.ac.nz/~greg