PEP scepticism

Roman Suzi rnd at onego.ru
Thu Jun 28 15:08:52 EDT 2001

On 28 Jun 2001, Andrew Kuchling wrote:

>bernhard at intevation.de (Bernhard Reiter) writes:
>> I agree as a python programmer (which I meant by "python user" btw).
>> There are important additions (e.g. unicode) and the language
>> has to be maintained.
>
>I've noticed that in online forums, people now rarely beat up on
>Python for the language itself, except for the old reliable
>indentation knee-jerk reaction.  Instead people write about how
>convenient CPAN makes it to find modules, or how useful the XML
>modules are, or how EJB lets them write elaborate business systems.  I
>don't think improving Python the language will win new converts at
>this point; improving the standard library, development environments,
>or the documentation is more likely to bear fruit.

I think improving Python itself is also improving what you've
just mentioned.

Of course, libraries are important and they are being developed. I also
think that changes in Python were caused be need of practice and not some
aestetism of GvR.

Sincerely yours, Roman Suzi
--
_/ Russia _/ Karelia _/ Petrozavodsk _/ rnd at onego.ru _/
_/ Thursday, June 28, 2001 _/ Powered by Linux RedHat 6.2 _/