Any other Python flaws?

D-Man dsh8290 at rit.edu
Wed Jun 20 12:16:12 EDT 2001

On Wed, Jun 20, 2001 at 02:45:05AM -0700, Tiago Henriques wrote:

| While we're on the subject of namespaces, one thing that I've felt
| from the beginning was missing from Python is a way to navigate the
| name space tree like a file system.
|
| For example, instead of typing:
| 	dir(os.path)
| 	dir(os)
|
| one could type:
| 	cd(os.path)
| 	dir()
| 	cd(..)
| 	dir()
| 	pwd()
| 	'os'
|
| or something similar. This could also be coupled with a context
| dependant help function.
|
| This is not so much a wart as a missing feature, but I feel it would
| make python even more enjoyable for newbies.

Well, this doesn't belong in Python.  Remember that Python is a
programming language.  It happens to currently have an implementation
that is interpreted and also allows for interactive use.  This feature
you are looking for (both the "os shell-like module browsing and the
context-sensitive help) belong in IDEs, not the language itself.

I agree that it would be nice to have some sort of object browser, and
even a context-sensitive jump-to-the-documentation feature (in the
object browser), but that is a task for an IDE/debugger.

-D