Discussions and developing

Rainy sill at optonline.net
Fri Jun 29 18:46:02 EDT 2001

On Sat, 30 Jun 2001 01:25:20 +0400 (MSD), Roman Suzi <rnd at onego.ru> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> you, like myself, read (and write) to this mail-list/usenet group devoted
> to our beloved Python.
>
> We generate several megabytes per month.
>
> Python code (src) is 15-20 Mb.
>
> So, we could type one Python per 2 months. (Well, if we count quoting,
> probably in 6 months, but still impressive figure).
>
> Just why reacting to PEPs and accusations/opinions in newsgroup is more
> attractive than writing good piece of code for library, for some
> interesting Open Source project? (Am I alone or others also experience
> this temptation?)
>
> Lets imagine that 1/3 of the letters to c.l.p is converted to useful
> Python code. But no! It's far more interesting to react to yet another
> PEP!

As for me, it probably takes 20 to 30 times longer to write a piece of
useful code vs. an email or a usenet post of same length.

> And this happens because reacting/disputing/flaming/... is a (small) fight
> between human beings and not between human being and dumb machine which
> need to be coded.
>
> May be, with time some kind of subject-against-subject programming
> technique will be invented, I dunno, and disputes will create not
> only tryth but quality code.

Program gaming bots that compete? I think there's a game called fighting bots
or something similar.

> I do not know how to convert my recent c.l.p. addiction into something
> useful for all. (if I only new how to be productive after full-time
> work...)

It is useful, just not as useful as great useful programs.

I think you're missing the fact that you can't do the same thing without breaks. I code, get tired and/or bored, read k5 or usenet, post, watch simpsons, code some more, all that in while 1: loop ;-). If I try to keep coding while bored/tired, it's inefficient - I either hit a stonewall or (worse) do something dumb that I'll have to recode and, I found, taking a rest (changing activity is a form of rest!) makes more sense in the long run.

get it at: http://silmarill.org/cymbaline