Has anyone used UML?

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at bt.com
Mon Jun 11 14:08:33 EDT 2001

Mats Wichmann wrote:
> Yes, it's kind of interesting that way.  Three of the main
> practitioners of OO methodologies and modeling strategies all ended up
> working for Rational,  leaving them with the odd situation of having
> the proponents of three different modelling schemes on staff.

Not true! Rumbaugh and then Jacobson specifically joined
Rational to create the UML. By the time they joined they
already recognised the need for a unifying language.

Rational Rose(the CASE tool) already existed (indeed was at
version 2 at least) and was based on Booch's notation. The
first version to support UML still had Booch as default...

> all...  on the other hand, it may be that Rational Rose really is
> "that damn good" (personally, I have zero experience with it).

When it first appeared (around 1992) it was the best thing
available - almost the only thing available - for "round
trip engineering". ie You could draw a design, generate code,
modify the code and then suck the code changes back into
your design. First time I saw that I was astounded at how
good it was. Nowadays several tools do the same tricks
- with pretty much equally unsuccessful results! But they
are all better than nothing for a significant sized project.

Likewise they are all overkill for a small one!

Alan g.