sendmail

Simon Brunning SBrunning at trisystems.co.uk
Wed Jun 20 10:05:43 EDT 2001

> From:	Nik Goodey [SMTP:splat_360 at flashmail.com]
> I am trying to get a form on my page email me some info.  I can;t figure
> out how to get sendmail to get the form info and email it.

I'll tell you how *I've* done it. But I must warn you - I have been told
that this method is exposed to misuse. Stay tuned to c.l.py for more info on
this problem...

Anyway, my form looks like so:

<form method="post" action="mysendmail.cgi">
        <input type="text" name="name" size="50">
        <input type="text" name="email" size="50">
        <input type="text" name="subject" size="50">
        Your message or question:</td>
        <textarea name="comments" cols="70" rows="6"></textarea>
    <input type="submit" name="Submit" value="Submit">
</form>

and the script to process it looks like this:

import sys, cgi, smtplib, traceback, StringIO

failHTML = '''Whatever HTML you want here'''
sentHTML = '''Whatever HTML you want here'''

mailtemplate = '''From: %(email)s
To: youraddress
Subject: %(subject)s
Email from %(name)s

%(comments)s'''

sent = None

print "Content-type: text/html\n"

try:
    form = cgi.FieldStorage()
    formstrings = {}
    for formfield in form.keys():
        formstrings[formfield] = form[formfield].value
    mailtext = mailtemplate % formstrings

    mailserver = smtplib.SMTP('yourSMTPserver')
    failure = mailserver.sendmail( 'youraddress', 'youraddress', mailtext)
    sent = not failure
except:
    foo = StringIO.StringIO()
    traceback.print_exc(file=foo)
    failure = foo.getvalue()

if sent:
    print sentHTML
else:
    print failHTML
    # print failure # Enable this if you are having problems...

I'm not using sendmail here - smtplib seemed easier.

BTW, any suggestions for improving this, my first CGI script, would be
warmly recieved...

Cheers,
Simon Brunning
TriSystems Ltd.