1.5.2, COM, Unicode

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Mon Jun 11 14:01:47 EDT 2001

I recently moved my MAPI mail-fetcher from Win95/Python-1.5.2 to
Win2K/Python-2.1.  After the move, I noticed that I had
problems when I received e-mails with extended characters (ö,
ß, Ø and so on).  Adding .encode('latin-1') in a couple
places fixed it.

I'm pretty sure I got e-mails like that before, and I was
wondering what the COM support library did with them in 1.5.2.
Were all of the Unicode strings in COM objects automagically
converted in to latin-1 encoding?

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Everywhere I look
                                  at               I see NEGATIVITY and