qt or gtk?

Gerhard Häring gerhard.nospam at bigfoot.de
Sat Jun 16 21:18:22 EDT 2001

Courageous wrote:

> ?Now I feel stupid. I thought Qt was free to use if your software is free,
> ?but costs money if you plan to sell it. There are two versions - commercial
> ?and free software, and you have to buy a license if you want to use the
> ?commercial version. I assumed the difference between the two is only in
> ?name and license, and the source is the same, however.
>
> Actually, I believe that what you said is correct for the Linux platform,
> but I'm not sure. What I am sure of is that Qt is not free for Windows,
> irrespective of how you intend to use it.

Qt/X11 is available under the GPL. Alternative commercial licensing for Qt/X11
is also available. Qt/Windows is only available under a commercial license.

Of course, you can use a X server on Windows and try to compile Qt/X11 with
Cygwin ... The licensing is not tied to the operating system, but Qt/X11 and
Qt/win32, Qt/Mac have a different codebase. Only the X11 version is available
under the GPL.

Gerhard
--
mail:   gerhard <at> bigfoot <dot> de       registered Linux user #64239
web:    http://highqualdev.com              public key at homepage