Meta: PEP discussion (was Re: PEP 255: Simple Generators)

Aahz Maruch aahz at panix.com
Wed Jun 20 14:55:08 EDT 2001

[posted to c.l.py with cc to Barry and Jeremy]

In article <mailman.993057334.1570.python-list at python.org>,
Paul Prescod  <paulp at ActiveState.com> wrote:

>We're discussing this issue on python-iterators. I think everyone
>interested should head over there. I'd really like to discuss this but
>I'm trying to follow the rules!

While there's some logic here, it's not exactly convenient to subscribe
to every mailing list under the sun each time a "critical" issue comes
up.  While I overall think Tim is right in removing python-dev from the
list of venues for discussing PEP 255, I think that trying to place
comp.lang.python (aka python-list) off-limits is a Bad Idea.

I suggest that if PEP authors really wish to move discussion to separate
mailing lists that the PEP guidelines should be modified to encourage
inclusion of instructions for subscribing to the mailing list(s).

Barry, Jeremy, any comments on the above idea?

Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6                 http://www.rahul.net/aahz/

"It's not what you know, it's what you *think* you know."  --Steve Martin