Why Not Translate Perl to C

Levente Sandor nospam at newsranger.com
Sat Jun 30 16:44:51 EDT 2001

In article <mailman.993922352.32302.python-list at python.org>, Oleg Broytmann
says...

>   Yes, but you cannot write a compiler that will translate StringIO into
>cStringIO. Python is too dynamic for this. If Python will ever get static
>typing, things will become much better and we can return to the task of
>building a compiler.

Ok, this is true. We must sacrifice some speed for flexibility. I'm ready to do
that -- and this is the real answer to the question. I just wanted to show the
fault in the author's way of thinking.
I can't see any reason to translate Python code to C. In most cases I'm
satisfied with Python's speed and I use C when I absolutely need more
performance.

Levi