Help: Python 2.1: "Corrupt Installation Detected"

Greg Ewing greg at cosc.canterbury.ac.nz
Wed Jun 27 01:41:46 EDT 2001

I'm trying to install Python-2.1 on Windows,
and I keep getting "Corrupt Installation Detected"
when I run the installer.

>From other postings I've seen about this message,
it means that the installer itself is corrupted
somehow.

But everything I can think of doing to test its
integrity says that it's okay. I can open the
installer with WinZip and "Test" it, and it passes.
I ftp'ed it to another machine which has Python
installed (in binary mode) and ran md5sum.py on
it, and the result matches the checksum advertised
on the web page.

I also tried downloading Python-2.0.1.exe, but it
says "Corrupt Installation Detected" as well.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on here?

Christchurch, New Zealand
http://www.cosc.canterbury.ac.nz/~greg