[TO]What's the big deal with EJB? [Re: PEP scepticism]

Martijn Faassen m.faassen at vet.uu.nl
Fri Jun 29 19:17:45 EDT 2001

Andrew Kuchling <akuchlin at mems-exchange.org> wrote:
> Alex <new_name at mit.edu> writes:
>> What's EJB got going for it, anyway?

> Buggered if I know.  Perhaps they provide a frictionless method for
> transferring a business's money to consultants.

I was in a huge thread about those some weeks ago.

The whole Java stuff offers:

  * standardized APIs. Makes it easier to learn systems, and easier
    to find programmers who know the system. This goes from
    a templating engine to persistence to relational/object integration.

  * help with scalability of the system (clustering for instance),
    if you use the APIs you're sort of assured you can scale it all up.

Of course I'm skipping over a lot of stuff.

Python (and many Python frameworks such as Zope) could do with a few more
standardized APIs (and protocols/interfaces). I think Python actually has
most of the pieces, though, but you have to worker harder to collect
them together into an application.

Regards,

Martijn