Teaching Pyhton on Wintel

Jeff Sandys sandysj at asme.org
Tue Jun 19 14:04:35 EDT 2001

Paul-Michael Agapow wrote:

> I've decided to teach <snip> Python <to> scientists.
> 1. Any advice on which IDE etc. of Win Python to use?

I like WinPython for development (better text editing)
and IDLE for testing (better class browser).  You get
both with the distribution and it are no problems with
using both.

> 2. Anyone done a similar class?

This class was used at CalTech for scientist:
http://www.wag.caltech.edu/home/rpm/python_course/

This is a nice tutorial for math and science:
http://starship.python.net/crew/hinsen/

I like:
The Quick Python Book, by Daryl Harms and Kenneth McDonald,
for learning, and:
Python Essential Reference, by David Beazley,
for programming.

Let us know how your class goes.  I believe that Python
meets the goal of Computer Programming for Everyone (CP4E)
better than any other language because it is one language
that is open source with plenty of available utilities.
(Though I still like Scheme and Logo for teaching)

Thanks,
Jeff Sandys