Is this a true statement?

David C. Ullrich ullrich at math.okstate.edu
Tue Jun 26 09:35:59 EDT 2001

On Tue, 26 Jun 2001 15:47:43 +1200, Greg Ewing
<greg at cosc.canterbury.ac.nz> wrote:

>"Dr. David Mertz" wrote:
>>
>> claim there is no way "that naturally maps the program constructs to the
>> memory accesses involved."  The last is probably something true... but
>> it is only true as long as no one writes a devicedriver.py extension
>> module that contains some functions like "access_memory_address()."
>
>Strictly speaking, the C language doesn't provide any
>way of accessing specific memory addresses, either.
>Techniques for doing so rely on knowledge of details
>of the implementation being used.

I was wondering about that, actually. Kinda reminds me
of years ago when someone wanted to know why they could
not do something with a zero-width pen in VB (or something
like that). The guy was puzzled because he said he
could do it in C. I was then puzzled because I didn't
realize that C _had_ a concept of "pen"...

>Greg Ewing, Computer Science Dept, University of Canterbury,
>Christchurch, New Zealand
>To get my email address, please visit my web page:
>http://www.cosc.canterbury.ac.nz/~greg

David C. Ullrich