Python and databases

John Bell jbellprj at iinet.net.au
Thu Jun 7 09:10:52 EDT 2001

Harry George wrote:

> It is only a "problem" if you need every nuance of DBI 2.0.  You can
> get a whole lot of work done using what is available in, e.g., psycopg
> (for Postgresql) and MySQl-python (for MySQL).

I think this is missing the key point (in a practical sense) of the
standard.  If you're going to take a significant body of code from one DB
to another  or support multiple databases for different customer needs
then you are much better off with standard interfaces.  Unless you're in
the unusual position of being able to dictate technology choices to your
customer this is an important issue in S/W businesses.

John

--

Regards,
John Bell