socket, UDP, SO_MAX_MSG_SIZE ???

Ralph Corderoy ralph at inputplus.demon.co.uk
Thu Jun 14 15:14:22 EDT 2001

Hi,

David LeBlanc wrote:
> IP packet size is generally ~1500 bytes by default. Don't know if
> that's a given on all tcp/ip stacks or just Windows specific (I got
> the impression that it was a standard default though).

Sounds like you're getting confused with the size of the network
packet, e.g. on Ethernet.  A large IP packet will be fragmented into
many parts to travel across the underlying network.

    $ ifconfig | grep MTU
              UP BROADCAST LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:3584  Metric:1
              UP POINTOPOINT RUNNING  MTU:2500  Metric:1

Ralph.