Bios calls in Python?

Martin Bless m.bless at gmx.de
Thu Jun 7 16:01:29 EDT 2001

[mb]
>> What about DOS calls?
>> I know the DOS interrupt "get truename of a file" still exists, and
>> that's exactly what I'm looking for. (In case of substituted drives).
>> But I don't know how to call from Python.

[Dr. Faustus]

>>This will only work on 95/98/Me.  It will not work on NT/2K/XP.

Are you sure? Does that mean my oh so very important dos application
(no joke) won't run with XP any more?

>There is definitely a Win32 API call that will do this on all those
>platforms.

Ha, I'd love to see it!

>Depending on exactly what you want, this is probably
>GetFullPathName, which is wrapped in the win32api library.

Unfortunately IT'S NOT GetFullPathName. The business is not expanding
from relative to absolute, like in:
   win32api.GetFullPathName('m:\\')  ->  'm:\\'

but from substituted to unsubstituted:
   rem Working dos example:
   m:>truename  m:\x.bat     ->  c:\somewhere\x.bat

It's a pity I don't have it. The idea is to have something like
os.samefile() on the windows platform. I'd like to prevent accidental
overwriting of files.

So the questions is still open.

Martin