Is this a true statement?

Emile van Sebille emile at fenx.com
Sun Jun 24 11:28:25 EDT 2001

"David C. Ullrich" <ullrich at math.okstate.edu> wrote in message
news:3b35ebc3.1024709 at nntp.sprynet.com...
> On Sat, 23 Jun 2001 09:36:13 -0500, "Chris Gonnerman"
> <chris.gonnerman at newcenturycomputers.net> wrote:

<snip>
> Seriously. _Is_ a "device driver" something other than a file?
> If it _is_ something other than a file I wish someone would
> say so. If a device driver is just a file then I don't see
> how the OS can possibly know or care how that file was
> generated.

Of course not.  And of course a file can be written by python that the os
can subsequently use as a device driver.  To do so, you will have written
both a compile-to-bytes program and a device-driver-source file intended to
be consumed by the compiler piece.  When this result is invoked by the os,
it will not be a python program running within the interpreter.

Generally speaking, writing a device driver is not thought of as similar to
copying a driver file from floppy, then saying that even something as simple
as cp or copy can be used to "write" a device driver.

--

Emile van Sebille
emile at fenx.com

---------