Windows shutdown problem

John Roth johnroth at ameritech.net
Wed Jun 27 01:23:18 EDT 2001

"NJM" <njm at rectec.net> wrote in message
news:tjhq3pmojkjp8c at corp.supernews.com...
> My computer locks up in the shutting down screen after I use python.  If I
> don't use any python, it shuts down fine.
>
> Does any one have any ideas??

There's a known problem with Tkinter and the command line in windows 9x and
ME. It
doesn't seem to occur in Windows 2000 and equivalent. Nobody knows whether
it's in
Tk or Tkinter. As far as I can determine, it only occurs when there's been
an uncaught
exception, although I'm certainly not an expert on the subject.

There was a fairly extensive discussion about two weeks ago, titled "IDLE
bug". See that
for details. As far as I can tell, it's going to remain until some real
Windows guru gets
irritated enough to track it down with the heavy duty debug tools.

If it's something other than this, no clue. My system shuts down fine as
long as I don't
use anything that throws an exception in Tkinter.

John Roth