win32 extension installation problem

zihonglu zihonglu at home.com
Sat Jun 23 23:03:39 EDT 2001

We are building a product with python and the win32 extension, in win32
environment.  I have a problem in shipping the product with win32 extension.

What I really want is to have the python interpreter and the win32 extension
installed inside our product's directory, say c:\MySoftware\Python, and in
the registry, set python's keys under HKLM\Software\MySoftware\Python,
instead of the typical HKLM\Software\Python, to avoid conflict with
customer's possible existing python installation or possible future python
installation change.  I can achieve that by change python's source code to
look for the new registry key.  However, since I am also using the win32
extension, it looks HKLM/Software/Python for its installation and execution,
not my new keys.  I also use PythonService.exe, which checks for its key
under HKLM/Software/Python for registering the service, not the one I set
under my new keys.

To solve these problems, how many places I need to change the win32
extension source code, if I can find them?  Is there a better way?  Where do
I get the source code?

I am aware of McMillan's installer.  I am afraid that is not what we need
since we want the product to be extensible by our customers, not to be
freezed.  Any info is highly appreciated.

-Zihong