Any other Python flaws?

Tony J Ibbs (Tibs) tony at lsl.co.uk
Fri Jun 15 06:45:23 EDT 2001

The one thing I *really* hate in Python is the fact that starting a
number with a zero suddenly magically changes its base - yuck. One thing
we could have done with *not* keeping from the C family.

I still remember the first time (obviously not in Python itself) I tried
to lay a series of numerical choices out neatly (did BCPL have this
"feature" too? was it really that far back?), and to make it neat, I
naturally padded with spaces on the left. Humph. I just couldn't believe
that anyone would create such a daft heffalump trap.

Unfortunately, I don't see how we can escape from this one, without
overly aggressive use of the time machine (and maybe it's like the
quilting tradition (which may originate from the Amish) - every quilt
should contain a deliberate mistake, since only God can create something
perfect).

Otherwise, I'm happy enough (and what with iterators and generators and
such like, I'm plainly going to be able to continue my computing science
education right around here, which is nice[1]).

Tibs

[1] Erm - has The Fast Show reached other shores?

"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive
continuity of ducks." - Dorothy L. Sayers, "Gaudy Night"