[Python-Dev] PEP 259: Omit printing newline after newline

Steve Holden sholden at holdenweb.com
Thu Jun 14 20:17:10 EDT 2001

--
http://www.holdenweb.com/

"David C. Ullrich" <ullrich at math.okstate.edu> wrote ...
> On Thu, 14 Jun 2001 17:19:05 GMT, bokr at accessone.com (Bengt Richter)
> wrote:
>
> >On Wed, 13 Jun 2001 13:33:51 GMT, ullrich at math.okstate.edu (David C.
> >Ullrich) wrote:

> >[...]
> >>So just out of curiosity: Roughly what do you
> >>mean by "orthogonality" above?
> >Roughly, zero dot products ;-)
>
> Thanks. Best answer so far... (so a language
> in which it was essentially impossible to do
> mathematical programming would automatically
> have achieved this orthogonality: no math, hence
> no dot products, for a net total of zero dot
> products altogether. Suddenly Perl seems much
> more orthogonal than Python, who woulda guessed?)

Nope. "print" is a feature. "exec" is a feature. Changing the "print"
statement (i.e. moving the language one way or another along the "print"
dimension) does not affect "exec". Hence the two features are orthogonal. If
you multiply its "print"ness by its "exec"ness you get zero. Sort of.
Heavens, it's a long time since I studied infinite-dimensional Banach
spaces.

feeling-old-ly y'rs -- stEVe